Monday, April 4, 2011

Finally April Showers and ………….


We had a little April showers, March winds and the return of old man winter all within one day. Our weather alarm went off at 4:44am advising of severe thunderstorms, high winds and possible hail to the west of Canton. We both got up and dressed….God forbid that we get caught in a storm and blown away in our PJ's. We both checked our weather Apps on our IPhones and this is what we saw headed our way.


According to the weather app there was heavy rain, lighting with thunder and winds could be as high as 60-70 mph headed our way. Sure enough the rains, winds and lighting hit the grounds about 6am. I don't believe the winds reached the predicted level but they were somewhere around 40-45 mph and it rained so hard you could not see the Pavilions across from us. So we set there and waited for the storm to pass before going to breakfast at the local Whataburger.


After breakfast we went back to the motorhome with the thought we would just wait it out before heading back to base in Lone Star. I was able to drain and flush our holding tanks, put in the water hose and electrical cable between rain showers.

Sandy called her brother in Lone Star to see what their weather was like. They had similar weather but in their case they had a lot of hail. We decided to wait a little longer and about 10am the rain stopped and we had very strong sustained  winds of 30-35 mph out of the northwest. While this would help dry out the roads it certainly would play havoc with high profile vehicles, but we decided it wasn't going to get any better and hit the road about 10:30 am.

The interstate was pretty dry for our trip but Sandy really fought the winds that where hitting the back corner of the drivers side of the motorhome. We arrived in Lone Star just after noon. Set up the home and headed out to Mt Pleasant to go to the bank and Walmart for groceries.


On our way the sun popped out and nothing but blue skies appeared around us. The winds however where just howling out of the northwest. These winds didn't help our moisture in the ground  as by the time we got back to Lone Star the red dirt from the trucking place next door was really blowing across the empty lot from us. Our temperature tonight is suppose to be around 38F. So, when it comes to the weather we’ve had it all today.

Until next time. . . .MtnAire Travlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment