BLOG SUPPORTERS

Friday, July 23, 2010

Has That Time Finally Arrived…..Maybe Not

image

The older I get the harder it becomes to get up on my roof of the RV to clean and do maintenance. So, I finally broke down and had my  motor home washed and cleaned by Zach who works for my BIL James. He is 19 years old and gets around as you would expect a young person to do. He arrived Saturday at 8:30am and completely washed and treated all my plastic vent covers and slide out gaskets by 10:30 am. He did a good job and his services only cost me $40.00. We will use him again and pay him to do some more maintenance chores on the home. While Zach was on my roof he discovered we had several places where the sealant on our seams showed cracks.

We made an appointment with him to come back Monday evening when it turned a little cooler to do the sealing. When he arrived it was still in the 90’s and he had his cowboy boots on, no hat and looked completely exhausted as he weed eats for James. I decided it wasn’t a good time for him to do the patching and told him let’s plan on it when we returned from Canton First Monday. Now this is where the “maybe not” comes in. The more I thought about it the more concerns I had about those cracks and I convinced Sandy I could still climb the ladder and get on the roof to seal the seams.

So, Thursday morning we were up early and with the sealer in hand and the brushes, I was on the roof and sealing the seams by 7:30am. Now this is where “time has finally arrived” comes into play. While on the roof I experienced several Charlie  Horses in my legs as I was on my knees several hours. I was afraid I wasn’t going to be able to come off the roof but after stretching my legs out and waiting several minutes I was able to climb down. We will have to give it some thought before we will do that again. I’m glad I did seal the seams as it looks like Tropical Storm Bonnie could track up to northeast Texas and bring a lot of rain with it.

Well we are at Canton now for the  “Dog Days of August”  First Monday. We were off by 6:30am and arrived without incident and are setup behind our booth by 9am. We were blessed with a strong wind out of the South that held the temperatures down.

Notice the woodpecker and the Blue jay sharing the feeder
image 
We don’t understand why the woodpecker hangs off the feeder but noticed in the photo on Mike and Gerri’s blog “Never say Never”  he hangs off the same way. Their photo is a lot better than this one.
image

This must be Cardinal country has we’ve seen more Cardinal’s at our feeders than any other species. The country squirrels still haven’t figured out our feeders completely but they do use our bird water bath  for drinking.

Until next time….MtnAire Travlers.

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you were able to get off that roof safely!! You need to be really careful up there. It sounds like that young fellow did a great job washing the motorhome and his price was very reasonable. That is no small job.
    Our woodpeckers have always hung off the feeders like that. I'm not sure why they do that but it is a good question.
    We have a ton of Tufted Titmouse and the Nuthatch at our feeders lately. We did have a beautiful bright yellow Finch but haven't seen him lately. We now have 3 hummingbird feeders and those little guys empty them each day. It is so much fun to watch.
    Have fun bird watching...enjoyed seeing your pics!!

    Mike & Gerri (happytrails)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I let the younger folk do the 'upper scrambling' now.
    I will go up on the ladder to see what they have done, if one of them holds the ladder for me though.

    I get leg cramps if I don't take my Calcium with Vit.D. My doctor told me it has to have D in it.
    As long as I remember to take it, I am fine.
    If I don't, I will be woken up in the night, and stomping around the bedroom going "ooh, ahhh". The dog looks at me funny, wondering why I am doing a tribal dance!!

    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete