Tuesday, October 26, 2010

November Canton, Friends and Double Whammy


We arrived at Canton a little later on Friday due to our late start that morning. Upon arrival we were surprised to see the number of RVer’s that were already here. Usually this is a good sign for that many to be here the weekend before First Monday. We had a very nice thunderstorm hit Saturday evening that dumped about 2” of rain on us. There were more thunderstorm alerts for Sunday as well.


Our friends Mark and Dortha arrived here Sunday afternoon around 3pm. After they got into their spot they came over to our home. It sure was great in seeing them again. We set and visited and caught up on all their summer travels. Boy, what a grand time they had these past four months…..what an adventure.


Sandy made an excellent taco salad for our dinner and while visiting the weather siren went off indicating a severer weather system was near and may have a tornado in it. There were reports of large size hail in some of the storms so we drove both Jeeps over to park them under the pavilion. That was the first bad weather alert as later in the evening we had the second system roll toward us that had heavy thunderstorms, lighting, and winds. We headed to the 
bathhouse for protection from the storms. Both systems supported 
tornados but none touched down in our area.


The second system came from the same direction as the first one. 
Reports said it was just as bad as the first and off to the bathhouse 
we go for the second time. We called Mark and Dortha to give them a heads up. They chose to stay home this time. In fact there were only three couples there this time. In all we had a total of 54 weather alerts between the two storms. We are so thankful all we got out of it was just the wind, very little rain, no hail but lots of thunder and lighting.


Monday we were up and traveled to Tyler (see Mark and Dortha’s blog for what we did while there). They treated us to the best BQ we’ve had in a while at Rudy's Bar-B-Q. Let me tell you this was absolutely the best I’ve had bar none. I had a sliced brisket sandwich that had at least five or six slices of brisket. Boy was it finger licking good. Their cream corn was out of this world. We sampled their turkey and it is AMAZING!!!

After returning we were to full to eat dinner so we joined in on our neighbors (Bob and Sandra’s) happy hour. We all adjourned around 9pm as Mark and Dortha were getting up earlier for their ten hour drive to the RGV.


This morning they were off around 8:30 am and headed out. We wished they could have stayed longer but we understand. They have a lot of work to do to their coach house at Retama  Village. We had a grand time even though it was short.

There they go!

If you will look real close this photo shows the early arrivals for our November show this weekend. The RV spots are now more than half taken. Come Thursday I would expect them all to be full of Rver’s. We had to go to our Post Office in Diana this morning to pick up some inserts that our supplier mailed to us but did not arrive in time. On our way Sandy and I counted at least sixteen motorhomes and trailers heading west. We assumed most of these were winter snow birds headed South to the valley or to the Southwest.

Until next time….MtnAire Travlers.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like scary weather. Glad you had a good time with friends. Good friends and good food, what more could you ask for.