Our weather has finally been consistent enough where we could work on the roof of the motorhome. I went up on our roof today and removed the tarp. Afterwards I gathered the necessary tools to begin that dreadful task of chiseling the old caulk off the seams and vent areas.
Wendell showed up about 1:00 pm and begin to help me. The caulk was so hard we were having a difficult time in removing it with chisels and scrapers. At the rate we were going I told Wendell we would be up here the rest of the day and would not have enough daylight left to lay down the Eternabond tape.
The next thing I knew he crawled off the roof and was back in about ten minutes with a 4" electric sanding disk that had a diamond cut sanding pad on it. We ran an extension cord up to the roof and within 45 minutes he was able to sand off most all of the old caulk on the seam of the drivers side, around one of the three fantastic fan vents and the shower sky dome. He was very careful and did not get into the plastic vents nor the paint with the sanding disk. Also by sanding the seams we feel we have a better prep for the tape to really bond well to the seams.
I then took our leaf blower and blew off the powder from disking the old seams. We then cleaned the area with acetone and started laying down the tape .
While Wendell laid down the tape over the seams I rolled it with the special steel roller I purchased with the tape. By 3:30pm we had completed the drivers side and the vents. It sure looks good and now we will wait to see if it passes the test as we are expecting rain tomorrow and perhaps snow.
I wanted to get pictures of the finished job but I was just to pooped and didn't want to crawl back up there to take them. Will take pictures when we do the other side which right now looks like might be this Saturday. I feel good about what we accomplished today and the short time it took us to do the drivers side.
Until next time. . . .MtnAire Travlers.