Friday, July 1, 2011

Only At Canton

Here is an article from the KLTV News on Canton's storm last night:

"Canton Trade Days open for business, despite storm damage
Story posted 2011.07.01 at 10:13 AM CDT
CANTON, TX (KLTV) - Vendors at Canton's First Monday Trade Days thought all they'd have to worry about was a big Fourth of July crowd.
That was until a micro burst of wind and rain hit the area, sending goods flying all over the site. Tents were destroyed, trees were snapped, and everyone was just trying to save as much merchandise as they could.
Rick Markey was just across the alley, helping a his friend get merchandise covered when he saw six of his friends tents being taken out.
"Everything was blowing everywhere...just a mess," Markey said.
Truman Brown stated he's been selling antique glass at first Monday trade days for more than 20 years, and never experienced anything like what he went through last night.
He says he was sitting in the back seat of his van when a big limb blew off and landed on the top of his van crushing the roof just inches away from where he was sitting.
Much of the city that lines the interstate was also without power until after midnight.
Police tell us no injuries were reported from the trade grounds, just a lot of scattered damage.
Most of the vendors all say that they will not let this storm set them back. They will be opening for the big Fourth of July weekend."

Sandy and I tracked this storm as it headed towards Canton. At the time we both thought nothing about it as it seemed like just a small pop-up storm. We debated if we should let our awing's in and boy are we glad we did right before the storm hit. Our neighbors two doors down had their large awing ripped off the side of their 5'er.

We had lots of small hail, very strong winds and heavy rain for a brief period. The home rocked and rolled several times. Our next door neighbors in a small travel trailer said they felt it moving as if it was going to turn over. Some dealers over on the city side weren't as fortunate as they had several trailers turned over due to the micro-burst of wind.

After this storm passed through we were asked to go to the restrooms as there was another small storm headed Canton's way. We walked over to the restrooms and there was a good crowd already there. All of us who had smart phones were tracking this other system. Fortunately it never materialized and dissipated about eight miles east of us.

I don't know what it is about this area but it sure seems to be a magnet for bad weather.

Happy July 4th everyone!

Until next time. . . .MtnAire Travlers.

No comments:

Post a Comment